It is located on coast of a small river with the same name, at the lap of a hill with century oaks, near Calarasi region. Hirjauca Monastery is one of four “Calarasi Cross” monasteries, along with Frumoasa, Hirbovets and Raciula. The monasteries are situated so that the shape of a cross is formed.

The architecture of the monastery is very interesting and original, to the gate goes an alley of pyramidal poplars and the monastery is arranged in the form of horseshoe. According to researcher P. Crusevan, the monastery was funded in 1740.

In 1917, during the revolution, Russian soldiers demolished drastically the monastic complex. Since 1918, when the Bessarabia territory was emancipated and joined with Romania, monastic life was improved significantly. Archbishop Nicodin of Husi effectively participated in the development of the monastery. Monastic library was extended with his help; books from Iasi were brought to the library. But in 1962, at the urgency of a group of atheists, the monastery was closed. Since then, monastic complex was functioning as a sanatorium under “Codru” denomination. In 1981, at the initiative of the sanatorium administration, mainly at the initiative of Gheorghe Osoianu and of the ministry of Culture, the restoration of the monastery continued. The old fresco was found under the strata of paint in the monastery interior. It was drowned in a classic style by famous painters as: Blinov, Stoianov and Lemaic during the period of 1901 – 1906. Painters as: Vasile Negruti, Serafim Prodan, Alexandru Ivanov and Elena Grigorasenco restored the old fresco for eight years.

In 1993, local husbandry provided the monastery with 2 ha of arable land, though later in 1995 it offered the monastery 10 ha of land. In 1994, on the territory of the monastery were already living 10 people. In 1998, the priory, refectory and one other building were also restored.

 

All additional info's by phone: